Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lake Bosomtwe

Wow...it is hard to believe I have entered into my last week here in Ghana. In many ways the time seems to have flown by, but at the same time I have gotten so accustom to my routine here it feels like I have been here a long time. And of course it feels like forever since I've seen Kanhka, friends, and family.

This past weekend Galit, Leonnore (the other two students) and I went to Kumasi, the closest big city, on Friday after work. We decided to "splurge" and go out to a nice dinner to get some decent food. I put splurge in quotes because going to the nicest restaurant in town still only cost us between 10 and 15 dollars a person. And it was totally worth it...by far the best meal I've had in Ghana...my meal contained spinach, which was the most exciting thing ever to me at the time!

The next morning we packed into one of the TroTro public transportation vans and went 45 minutes to Lake Bosomtwe, which is the largest natural body of water in Ghana. The lake is almost a perfect circle because its base was made by a meteorite. In my opinion it is the most pristine place I have seen thus far in Ghana. There are a few villages scattered around outskirts of the lake, but in general the surrounding land looks undisturbed. Tropically forested hills role into the lake.

When we got there we met one of the Ghanaian girls from the office, Rita, who has been helping me with my research by interpreting and administering surveys. Rita and her brother took us to the part of the lake where all the locals from Kumasi come to spend the day. She had packed a Ghanaian picnic lunch so we spent the afternoon just relaxing under the palm trees and dipping in the surprisingly clean lake. At the end of the day Rita and her brother went back to Kumasi, but Galit, Leonnore and I wanted to stay the night at one of the guest houses on the lake. The one we had in mind was about 5km from where we were, but we decided we wanted to get some exercise so we walked. On the way there we passed through three of the local fishing villages, which if possible seemed more impoverished than the villages we work in during the week. Unfortunately when we finally arrived at the guest house it was full (you can't make reservations in advance because there is no phone service anywhere at the lake). At this point it was getting dark so we could not walk back and since we were in the middle of no where no taxis were around. We were a little frustrated at this point, and ended up having to pay for the guest house boat to drive us to another hotel on the lake which was a little more up-scale. It isn't like we had any other option, but it turned out to be a nice evening ride on the lake, and we were very pleased with where we ended up staying. This place even had a TV where Leonnore got to see her precious Dutch team play in the European football tournament - unfortunately they lost.
On Sunday morning Leonnore and I decided we wanted to go on a bike ride around part of the lake like had been advertised in one of the travel books. The mountain bikes we were given were rusted over, the gears did not work, and the peddles were loose. We were either gluttons for punishment or we just really wanted to ride but we set out on a ride anyway. Sure enough 45 minutes later one of the tire's tubings had popped. I road back to find the guy who had rented us the bikes while Leonnore began walking. Of course when I returned to the hotel I was informed that the man had left to go to town. So I rode back to Leonnore and we finished walking back to the hotel...yeah, we should have seen that one coming. On the upside though, in the midst of riding back and forth from the hotel to Leonnore I decided I really like mountain biking. Plus, our swim in the lake felt great after that morning.

We just relaxed at the hotel for the afternoon, and then headed back to Kumasi. I was taking all of the data entry clerks who had been helping me with my research out to dinner as gratitude for all their help. I truly could not have done my research without them! I let them pick the time and place, and of course, in true Ghanaian fashion they were over an hour late. This did not stop us from having a good time though. The four of them all ordered traditional Ghanaian dishes and the three of us stuck to the continental menu - each side ridiculing the other for not branching out of their comfort zone.

It was a typical Monday morning where I was told the project car would come pick me up at 8am, and it did not actually arrive until 10am. Are you picking up on the Ghanaian time frame here? I understand that it is normal for them, but it is extremely frustrating for me. I was grateful when it finally came though. Three of the staff members helped me go around town to buy some things that were needed for the schools. We finally got back to Manso Nkwanta around 2pm, which was of course two hours too late for me to go do my planned field work for the day.

Tuesday was my last day going into the cluster villages. I stopped by each of the three schools one last time. The purpose of this trip was to meet with the School Meals Committees and Teachers as groups to get their impressions and concerns on the School Meals Program and to get a few last pieces of information I needed. It was a bitter sweet trip. I've gotten to know the teachers, cooks, and children in these communities over the past 6 weeks so it was sad to say goodbye, and I think they liked having me around too. At the same time though, doing field work with MVP here in Ghana is exhausting if for no other reason than the hours you spend riding on terrible roads, and it takes the majority of an entire day. (I forgot to mention Thursday of last week I got stuck in the field an extra 5 hours - totalling 13 hours in the field in one day - due to both a TroTro and truck stuck in the road and some miscommunication.) Needless to say I am a little relieved to have three days here in the office where I can just work on the data and finally do some analysis and write-up.

This coming weekend is a three day holiday weekend so even though I do not fly out until Tuesday I will not be coming back to Manso Nkwanta after Friday. Two of the data entry clerks, Leonnore and I have decided to go to the beach. If I get internet access I'll try to post one last time before I fly back Tuesday evening, but if I do not please pray for safe travels.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you are about to come home-time sure does fly by! If you are flying into Charlotte, we will have to get together. Today is my first week of "summer vacation" so I am finally free to hang out. Have a safe trip back and I can't wait to see you!