As expected, it was another busy week of early mornings, late nights, and long hours in the field. I'm loving every minute of it though. This week we continued surveying at the third and final school, Aboaboso, which is not only the largest but also the furthest away. It takes 2 hours to get there, but I think the children at this school may be my
favorite. There are over 100 kindergarteners who literally follow me in one large swarm laughing at everything I say, and the older children seem to know English better so they can talk to me some. The teachers here are also great. Although, the headmaster tried to convince me to take his youngest daughter back with me to the States. I told him he would miss her, but he said he would not knowing that she had a better life with me. I can not imagine how poor your living conditions must be that you would be willing to part with your child so that they could have a "better life". It is so sad.
In addition to the surveying, one day was spent taking anthropometric
measurements (height, weight, and age) at three new schools which started school meals programs this week. Even with these new schools it means only six of the twenty-seven schools in the cluster serve lunch. We take the measurements before they start receiving meals so that we can compare the difference having the meals makes on stunting, wasting, and underweight percentages of the children in the months to come. We will hopefully measure the students at the three schools I am researching next week to see if there has been any change in the last year and half since the meals were introduced.
I also spent a lot of time with
the cooks this week. I observed them from the start to finish of making and serving the meal. My task was to measure everything that went into the sauces and stews that they prepare as well as the final portions that they serve. This will serve in aiding my nutritional analysis of the meals. Additionally, I was observing hygiene and cooking methods.

No comments:
Post a Comment