Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Weekend in Kumasi

Because Manso Nkwanta is such a small town, most of the site team's families live in the nearest big city, Kumasi, which is about an hour and a half away. They all leave on the weekends to go back to Kumasi, and so I decided to go back with them. This was actually a 3 day weekend because there was and African holiday on Monday.


The cities here are crowded and dirty, and when you combine that with being a white girl (any white person gets a lot of attention and in my case much of it was unwanted) I decided Kumasi was not my favorite place. I made the best of it though. I think I got a total of 4 marriage proposals and in the end, instead of trying to explain what the word 'engaged' meant to people who could only speak limited English, I just started telling people I was married - they seemed to understand that one.


I think I did just about every touristy thing there is to do...went to the Cultural Center, the Ashanti King's Palace, the Ghana Military Museum, and the Zoo. Yes, they even have a zoo, but I use the word loosely. Ghanaian's only pay the equivalent of 50 cents and foreigners the equivalent of one dollar so the upkeep in severely lacking. Oh, and I also went to a football (aka soccer) match with my new Dutch friend Thomas, who does research in Kumasi. Because it was a big rival game between Kumasi and Accra we had to get there 3 hours early! The most impressive thing was that the 35,000 or so fans cheered for the entire 3 hours straight before the game even started! I was also very amused by what they choose to sell at games...rolls, entire loafs of bread, porridge, fried rice....not your typical hot dog by any means.


And of course it was nice to have access to restaurants and grocery stores too. If only I had not eaten that pineapple from a street vendor I might have been able to enjoy more of the food :( I definitely stocked up for the coming weeks though!

No comments: